Fresno State alumnus Jeffery Robinson, CEO of Community Link Incorporated, will keynote the LGBTQ+ Commencement Celebration on Saturday, May 16th where nearly a dozen students will be honored.
Last year, over 300 people attended the inaugural celebration of the LGBTQ+ Commencement ceremony presented by the United Student Pride Club at Fresno State. Founded in 1987, the organization hosts various events across campus and the community to promote social understanding and acceptance of the LGBTQ+ Community.
As a Fresno State student, Robinson co-coordinated and organized a three-day LGBTQ+ College and University Conference held throughout Presidents’ Weekend in 1989. In addition to heading the local non-profit organization Community Link, which offers a LGBTQ+ Youth Alliance, he also produces, publishes and oversees a number of other projects aimed at the serving the LGBTQ+ community including:
- The Fresno Rainbow Pride Parade and Festival: a celebration intended to help bring diversity to Fresno’s community while also celebrating the culture and creativity of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT+) community.
- News Link: a monthly newspaper that contains GLBT-relevant news (local and beyond) on politics, marriage, religion, youth, health; plus local columns: Waterhouse Report, and Calendars
- It’s a Queer Thang: a radio show on KFCF 88.1 FM that features live (in-studio or on-air) or pre-recorded interviews with interesting individuals and groups from the LGBT community
- Gray Alliance: a unique group for older lesbian and Gay members of the community
- POW (Professional Out Women): a community of women that gather for networking and socializing
- Kids Like Us: a social group for LGBT+ parents and their children
- Bowling and volleyball leagues: established as a way of getting Fresno’s GLBT community involved in active recreation