Deadline is to apply is April 30th, apply soon!
Organization Description: Equality California (EQCA) and its sister organizations (Equality California Institute, Equality California Issues PAC, and Equality California Candidate PAC) share a common mission to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Californians. For more information about EQCA, visit www.eqca.org.
Position: The Field Organizer is pivotal in engaging community members in Equality California’s campaign to win back equal marriage rights for all California couples, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. The Field Organizer will ensure that volunteers are appropriately engaged in meaningful activities likely to enhance EQCA’s grassroots lobbying campaign, aid in the local development of EQCA action teams, and seek to engage key business and civic leaders in ways likely to influence support for our marriage rights.
- Work with the Field Director to develop and implement a work plan for EQCA’s grassroots organizing and mobilizing that builds a groundswell of visible support for equal marriage rights
- Identify opportunities for education on LGBT issues and volunteer recruitment
- In geographic areas identified by EQCA, identify same-sex couples, allied organizations, supportive local leaders, and individuals to develop local, strategic activist groups
- Identify local organizations that have the capacity and willingness to help EQCA build a grassroots network in their area
- Manage the grassroots campaign, including coordinating constituent contacts and tracking all activities
- Develop schedule of outreach and visibility events designed to engage local activists and increase number of pro-marriage supporters within region and assist with development of organized local groups
- Identify and cultivate allies among local faith, social justice, community of color and political organizations for coalition building and to increase awareness of EQCA’s campaign
- Work with staff to ensure that volunteer opportunities are meaningful and likely to lead to sustained commitment and leadership among activists
- Organize major public events, conferences and training opportunities
- Accurately track and assess volunteer productivity
- Other duties and administrative support as assigned
- 1 – 3 years organizing experience on political or issue advocacy campaigns, including experience recruiting and organizing volunteers
- Be articulate, detail-oriented, diplomatic, organized, and computer-literate
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills in small groups, one-on-one meetings and public settings
- Be able to work independently and manage a number of simultaneous projects
- Be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and the internet
- Be able to follow directions and meet tight deadlines with excellent attention to detail
- Be able to multi-task and keep different pieces of the campaign moving forward simultaneously
- Have familiarity and/or expertise in a broad range of social justice issues
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, as a public spokesperson and advocate
- Have knowledge or interest in LGBT issues
- Be comfortable analyzing and articulating civil rights concepts and other complex issues and communicating them to a variety of audiences
- Be able to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- Top-notch people skills, including excellent oral and written communication skills, are a must
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
Please send a resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com . Incomplete packages will NOT be reviewed.
Women, people of color, and transgender individuals are encouraged to apply.